Historic Homes

Allen House

Isaac Allen and his wife Lydia sold two tracts of land to James Allen in 1765, one containing 326 acres in Newlin Township and an adjoining 38 acre tract in East Marlborough (today Pocopson.) James Allen was a Quaker farmer who was originally from West Nottingham where he married his wife Jane Brown. He removed with his family to East Marlborough and joined the Kennett Meeting in 1761. His main residence was located on the 38 acre tract in East Marlborough which lies along the road to the Great Valley (present day Red Lion Road).

Darlington homestead -former location of Lindencrest School

Jennie Darlington used an upstairs room in her home to run a private school for children of local farm families. The school room was located upstairs on the right end of the building pictured here. The children would leave their coats in the room in the lower level and access the school room through a winder staircase.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Pocopson Railroad Station

 

The "Shingle Style" structure that most people recognize as Pocopson Station is the second structure constructed for that purpose.

Haines Mill

 

 

Abner Haines had a grist and sawmill on Haines Mill Road; In 1884, the Mill burned down, apparently because Mr. Henry Haines built a wood fire in the office stove to ward off the chill.  The chimney caught fire and the property was destroyed.

 

Barnard House

In October 2008, the Township took possession of 68 acres at the northwest corner of the intersection of Lenape-Unionville and S. Wawaset Roads. This land was transferred from Chester County to Pocopson at no cost to the Township.

The transaction included the Eusebius Barnard House, an early 1800s stone house and a stop on the Underground Railroad located opposite the Pocopson Home.