Pocopson Railroad Station


The "Shingle Style" structure that most people recognize as Pocopson Station is the second structure constructed for that purpose.

In 1870 the Wilmington and Northern Railroad was constructed just west of the Brandywine Creek.  The railroad stop at Street Road was in an area refered to as Painter's Bridge. The first railroad station was a small one story frame building that stood north of Street Road, east of the railroad tracks. The simple structure housed the station agent's office, ticket window, and a small freight storage room. In 1880 Courtland Chandlee petitioned to have a US Post office located at the stop. The new Post office would be named Pocopson, for the nearby creek and township it was located within. With the new US Post office the name of the area would be referred to as Pocopson Station.

In 1893, with increasing patronage and a thriving freight business, a new passenger station and station agent's residence was built of local Serpentine stone on property south of Street Road purchased from the Emlen Darlington family. On the first floor were two waiting rooms, a coal stove, a ticketing window, and the station agent's office including a telegraph. On the second floor was the residence of the station agent. The first station agent to occupy the building was John Baker. The building also housed the small US Post Office, now under the name Pocopson. In 1906 the first telephone in Pocopson was installed into the building. 

Passenger service ended at Pocopson in 1947. The building served as the Pocopson Post Office from 1947 to 1976.  Ralph Meyer was the post master during that time period. 

In 1976 the US Post office relocated to the lower level of the rebuilt Lenape Inn and the Pocopson Station sold at auction and was converted into a private residence. 

In 1991 the facility was refurbished as a veterinary practice on the first floor and the former station agent's residence was turned into an apartment. In 2016 the veterinary practice expanded into an addition on the south end of the structure.