Haines Mill



Abner Haines had a grist and sawmill on Haines Mill Road; In 1884, the Mill burned down, apparently because Mr. Henry Haines built a wood fire in the office stove to ward off the chill.  The chimney caught fire and the property was destroyed.


 By the late 1920’s, in the Township, only Haines’ Mill was still in operation  Modern farms had their feed mills in the barns powered either by electricity or gasoline.  The old “up and down saw” in the sawmills that slowly but surely cut through the logs was replaced by circular saws and portable sawmills.