Revolutionary War Era (1750-1800)

Wistar's Farm

Lenape has been known by different names over the past 200+ years.  It grew from a locality named Wister's or Shunk's Ford before a bridge was built over the Brandywine.  The John P. Sager erected a mill on the east side of the creek, and the name changes to Sager's Mill.  Eventually, that name changed to Sager's Station when the Wilminton and Northern Railroad built a station onthe west side of the creek.

Northbrook

Northbrook Train Station ( courtesy Chester County Historical Society)

The land around what became Northbrook was a favorite of the Lenni Lenape, who used it for camping, hunting, and dancing.  It has been a treasure trove of Indian artifacts, and farmers turned up an arrowhead with every plowing in some fields.  Indian councils were held at a large rock just north of Northbrook, and only a little distance further is a small copse marking the ancient Lenni Lenape burial ground.  Indian Hannah, the last local Lenape Indian, is buried nearby.

Battle of the Brandywine

The Battle of Brandywine was the largest land battle of the Revolutionary War. With George Washington’s Continental Army poised at Chads Ford, defending the approaches to Philadelphia, the British General Sir William Howe was camped at Kennett Square, planning a flanking attack against Washington.

European Settlers

When the European settlers arrived, they found the land covered with timber, particularly oak, hickory, walnut, sycamore and poplar.  There was little underbrush, and thick, short grass covered the ground.   The trees were some distance apart; the lower limbs were high above the ground, and a horseback rider could easily ride anywhere through the woods.