Lenape is another village associated with Pocopson, although the formation of the township out of part of Birmingham Township essentially divides the village.  It grew from a locality named Wister’s or Shunk’s Ford before a bridge was built over the Brandywine.  Then John P. Sager erected a mill on the east side of the creek, and the name changed to Sager’s Mill.  Eventually, that name changed to Sager’s Station when the Wilmington and Northern Railroad built a station on the west side of the creek.

When a post office was established in the village on January 21, 1870, the residents also had their first choices of name turned down. The Post Office would not accept “Sager’s Station” or “Sagerville,” since there was a post office in Crawford County called “Saegersville.” So they settled on the name “Lenape,” after the Indian tribe that lived in the Delaware Valley before William Penn’s arrival.