Farming

Wistar's Farm

Lenape has been known by different names over the past 200+ years.  It grew from a locality named Wister's or Shunk's Ford before a bridge was built over the Brandywine.  The John P. Sager erected a mill on the east side of the creek, and the name changes to Sager's Mill.  Eventually, that name changed to Sager's Station when the Wilminton and Northern Railroad built a station onthe west side of the creek.

Denton Hollow Barn

This barn has been repurposed into a house near the Pocopson Creek bridge on Denton Hollow Rd.  It was most likely built during Joseph Darlington's ownership of the property.  The photo was taken most likely frm the stone bridge.  Note the road just below the barnyard wall extending along the fence.  It was part of Denton Hollow Rd that extended along the Pocopson Creek to Street Road ( Rt. 926).  Back when the Denton Cotton Mill was running it was most likely the main road to that property from that part of the Township. 

Tom Clark Barn

This barn stood where present Brandyridge Drive goes in off Rt 52.  It was part of Lenape Farm and once owned by Truman and Mary Lloyd.  Truman was the postmaster and general store owner at Lenape.

Their daughter married Tom Clark and carried the farm into the 1950's.  Eventually the family retired from farming and sold the property for the Clark's Lane/Cannon Hill subdivisions.

You can stil see part of the barn wall foundation along Rt 52 just uphill from Brandyridge Drive.

Agriculture

photo courtesy Chester County Historical Society

In the early 1800’s, agriculture was the leading occupation in all of Chester County.