Barnard House

Mary Larkin Dugan

Mary Larkin Dugan of Marlborough Village, East Marlborough Township, was the daughter of Joseph Palmer Larkin and Verna Hess Larkin, she was valedictorian when she graduated from Unionville High School, and later a teacher in the Unionville-Chadds Ford School District, retiring in 1993. She was placed on the Wall of Honor in the high school. She had Bachelor and Master’s degrees from University of Delaware.

Eusebius Barnard

Sara Painter and Eusebius Barnard

Eusebius Barnard was born in July of 1802 and educated in Chester County.   He attended neighborhood schools and devoted his energies to the farming interests in his community.

He is widely known as a strong abolitionist and an earnest advocate of womens rights and temperance reform.

He was also a strong community leader.  Eusebius signed the Petition for the Division of Pennsbury Township on November 3, 1848 which resulted in the creation of Pocopson Township.  He was described by Gilbert Cope as “a man of great force of character”

 

Barnard House

In October 2008, the Township took possession of 68 acres at the northwest corner of the intersection of Lenape-Unionville and S. Wawaset Roads. This land was transferred from Chester County to Pocopson at no cost to the Township.

The transaction included the Eusebius Barnard House, an early 1800s stone house and a stop on the Underground Railroad located opposite the Pocopson Home.